Wow another day almost done here in Pemba. What a blessing that each day has been so far. This morning some of the boys and I worked on fixing the slide and putting the metal on it. As soon as we were done installing the metal, you should have seen the line-up for the kids to go down the slide! They are all so cute! They even got the idea to take some cardboard boxes they found and sit in those and slide down!
Today at noon I helped with the village feeding. It is where we open the base up at noon each day for any children from the surrounding villages to come and get a plate of beans and rice. While there I also counted all of the children because I decided to use some of the money from my Brother’s elementary school to buy them all new shirts. So this afternoon three boys and I that help with the feeding program went into a nearby market to buy shirts. We were able to buy around 145 shirts and pants to give away. The shirts of course are not brand, brand new but gently used, but much better than the shirts I see the kids wearing now. A lot of them I see wearing the same shirt everyday, it is dirt stained, ripped, and usually barely staying on the kid. So be praying that the handing out of the shirts tomorrow goes smoothly! What really touched me today was when we were all done buying all of the shirts and we were on our way out of the market. I gave each of the three boys that helped me a little money, basically enough that they each could go and buy a shirt for themselves or something else they needed, but instead they each went to the nearby bread store and bought some bread. I asked what that was for and they said that it was for their families back at home, that it would be enough to feed them for supper and breakfast. I just about started to cry, what sacrificial hearts these boys have that the first thing they think of when they get some money is to bring food home so their families can eat.
This evening I got to go running along the beach for the first time since being here, it was very refreshing.
Each day is just amazing at the things that I get to take part in here. God is so Good!
Dates
April 2nd - May 16th 2008 South Africa & Mozambique
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment